Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Playing Catch Up

I'll be honest, the review for The Darkest Minds, which I read last month, has been sitting as a draft since I finished the book. I read an article on how to write book reviews and it was all analytic stuff so my brain froze and I couldn't get anything written down.

Because I can't do anything analytical. That's not how I read, so unless there was something big, by the time I'm don reading and ready to write a review I struggle to find things to say. Other than gushing and fan-girling, of course. I'm sure if I tried paying more attention while I read and tried to be more analytical I would be able to write those kinds of reviews, but honestly, that's not why I read. I read to enjoy a good story, to lose myself in a new world completely different than our own. And that's not why I write reviews. I review the books I read so that hopefully I can convince someone to read it as well, or convince someone to never touch it.

So I'm not going to pretend to be something I'm not. I'm going to continue posting book reviews that are gushy and fan-girly and enthusiastic. Because that's who I am, and that's how I read.

Here are some quick and dirty reviews of the other books I Read last month, to catch up a little before jumping into the reviews for February.

The Darkest Minds, by Alexandra Bracken - It was an exhausting read, but so worth it in the end. And I have a new book boyfriend and his name is Liam Stewart.

In Time, by Alexandra Bracken - (short story) As a short story in between books one and two of The Darkest Minds trilogy, it was perfect and amazing and totally and completely heartbreaking. Ouch.

Never Fade, by Alexandra Bracken - So much action, almost everyone's back together again, and the plot thickens! So amazing! And just as good as the first one!

Hyperbole and a Half, by Allie Brosh - Hilarious, totally true, and kind of like me.

A Local Habitation, by Seanan McGuire - It took me forever to get into this one, but it was a good enough urban fantasy. Glad I finally made it through it, though.

An Artificial Night, by Seanan McGuire - Better than A Local Habitation, but also really abnormal, compared to other urban fantasy. Interesting, and raises some interesting questions to be answered in later books.

Opal, by Jennifer L. Armentrout - This series just keeps getting better and better. These books are so addicting and hard to put down. Can't wait to read the next one!

Graceling, by Kristin Cashore - A really good fantasy with a strong female character, although there were not so subtle feminist threads to the story that kind of detracted from everything. But it was still a good romp and a fun read.

So now that I'm all caught up, I will return to my regular posting of book reviews when I finish reading books.

I hope you enjoy my bookish enthusiasm.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I love your bookish enthusiasm! Keep up the gushing and fan-girlishness. Leave the analysis to the boring intellectuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only one of these that I have read is Gracelings. I agree with you about the feminist stuff. The sequel Fire is pretty good, though it has a few icky elements. I have not read Bitterblue.

    ReplyDelete