Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Control, by Lydia Kang

Control, in Hardcover
Read February 4-February 18

First let me pause to take a breath. Except for the first chapter or two, I read this book in one sitting, and I'm still a little breathless because it was such a wild, fast-paced ride.

I read Control as part of an online read-along with my favorite booktubers. Normally I probably wouldn't have picked this book up. The blurb sounds interesting, but I'm usually more drawn to fantasy than science, and this is definitely a science fiction. However I would have been at a loss, and I'm really glad I read it.

The world building was fairly simple, but it didn't really need a whole lot.  There was plenty of futuristic technobabble to create the atmosphere, and just enough explanation of the world was given to make sense of how the world had changed. And most, if not all, of the tech and geography changes felt like a logical destination tow here our current world is headed.

Most of the characters felt barely fleshed out, however, and a lot of things suffered because of the super fast pace. But for it's faults, and it's weirdness, it was a good, easy book to read, and the world needs easy books to read just as much as it needs hard books to read.

Rating: Keeper

Have you read Control? If you have, tell me what you though! If you haven't, tell me about the last science fiction you read, I would love to hear about new books!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I guess I'll have to explore that genre a little, I don't think I've ever read a Science Fiction. As you know, I like real things more.

    ReplyDelete