Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2014

People

Today I want to talk about people. I'm going to do my best to stay professional, but this is a topic that really rankles me and I have a lot to get off my chest.

There are some people in this world who enjoy saying hurtful, sarcastic things to people. And not even in terms of being a bully, these people just never learned the phrase 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.' It makes for a very exhausting work relationship because I have to interact with them, and I can't do anything to fix their mindset.

It makes me want to start a campaign or something, because I cannot be the only one out there who feels this way. And I know there are people quieter than I am, who sit in silence and listen to the harmful comments from people who don't realize, or maybe do realize, how hurtful their words are.

It is a violent, unhappy world out there, and I may not be able to change the whole world, but I can change myself and influence those around me to be better and kinder to their fellow human beings. in my Patriarchal Blessing, something given to members of my religion, it says I have the gift of Charity. The Merriam-Webster says Charity is a disposition to goodwill, kindness, and sympathy. The Gospel of Jesus Christ teaches that Charity is the pure love of Christ.

I think it's time I start spreading this Charity to those around me.

Have you ever encountered people like those I described? How did you handle the hurtful things they said? Tell me in the comments!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. You are the sweetest, most cheerful person! (How you got to be that way with me as a mother is a mystery!) I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be hard to be around people like that the best way that I have found is just to love them and realize that they might be dealing with their own problems. We never know what those problems may be. If you are witnessing them talking about someone else, I like to offer a good comment about that person or if it is really bad I will call them on it like saying "I don't believe that or you know that's not true." You can also comfort the person experiencing the negative comments and reach out to them with friendship but it doesn't have to be an us against them thing. You can help the person forgive or understand the rude person better.
    Some of my favorite people talk big but are as gentle and sweet as anyone I have ever met.
    Anyway, it sounds like you already know all this. Good luck and stay cheerful your attitude may help everyone involved not just the person being hurt.

    ReplyDelete