Pages

Sunday, December 29, 2013

You, Who Came from the Stars

In the void left by The Heirs ending on SBS here in S. Korea, a new drama has started. In Korean it's 별에서 온 그대, and the English translation is You, Who Came from the Stars. Since I needed a new drama to watch, and now had my Wednesday/Thursday drama slot open, and because the ever handsome Kim Soohyun is the star, I decided on this particular drama. And from the first moment I knew I had chosen right.

Sometimes it takes me a few episodes to really get into a drama. Sure, the handsome guys sort of keep me coming, just to watch them, but after getting through the first few episodes the actual story and other characters have to interest me, or else I stop watching. And with Stars, man. It was love at first sight.

The story is about an alien who came to Earth -- and S. Korea -- 400 years ago and has been living in S. Korea, waiting for the next opportunity to return home. Except he has now fallen in love with the biggest Hallyu star in Korea. At least, that's the story. He hasn't fallen for her yet. If you're curious, Hallyu is the word used to describe the wave of Korean media spread throughout most of Asia and some of the world. Like K-Pop and the K-Dramas. I have a blog post about that planned for the future.

So far, I've only see tfour episodes of this new drama, so I can't really explain what it is that has me so enthralled. Other than Kim Soohyun, I mean. I haven't see enough to figure it out myself. I know that I like the female lead, which is important in my book, and I really like the worldbuilding that has been done to give Kim Soohyun super powers, but aside from that, I can't put it into words. I just love it.

Sometimes drama episodes can seem really long. Well, they are really long, compared to American TV. And sometimes it is kind of boring, so I glance at the clock to see how much time I have left. Or it's really exciting and I want to check the clock to see how much time I have left. Either way, I'm looking at the clock to see how much time I have left.

During thee out of four of the episodes I've watched so far, my eyes have been so glued to the screen I haven't even thought to look at the clock. Which of course leads to surprise and a little bit of outrage when the episode ends seemingly out of the blue because I wasn't paying attention to the time. But the drama is just too good to complain about something like that. The fourth episode was just tad boring, with a lot of talking and discussing a death that happened. 

I highly recommend watching this drama, at least so far. There are still seventeen episodes to go, but I have a feeling it will continue to be good. And who doesn't want to watch Kim Soohyun and his amazing acting? (You can't see it, but I'm smiling like a goof just thinking about Kim Soohyun.)

What K-Drama are you currently watching? Tell me about it in the comments!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. This is one on our to see list. The premise sounded fun and I like Kim Soohyun's acting too. One of my favorite scenes in all the dramas I have seen is when he chases the bus in Dream High and the exchange that takes place just after that.
    We just finished Operation Proposal and are getting ready to watch either Heirs or Faith....either way it looks like a Lee Min Ho drama for us this time.
    We always have to stop the first episode of any drama and check on the internet for all the actors because we start seeing familiar faces and then sometimes it drives us crazy until we can figure out where we have seen them before.
    The funny thing is that we have watched so many now, we don't need to do that as much. We also have started to seek out certain actors/actresses because everything we have seen them in is good, although going about it this way, we have found exceptions.
    I still have a hard time remembering Korean names so I refer to the actors this way, "you know the girl we saw in Coffee Prince, Goong, and Lie to Me." Or "Hey, that's the same guy that was the Jade emperor in Arang and the Magistrate."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard Operation Proposal was really good, and I've been meaning to watch it. If you haven't decided already, I would suggest watching Heirs over Faith. Faith was good, but Heirs was amazing.

    And my mom has the same problem with Korean names. Sometimes she just makes up funny names based on what they look like, and it always gives me a good. laugh.

    Thanks for reading and commenting, by the way!

    ReplyDelete