Pages

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Winter

So winter is finally here in the wonderful country of South Korea. There’s snow on the ground, the average temperature is in the teens, and people are slipping and sliding on the ice like it’s a skating ballet. It’s been a long time since I lived through a real winter, and I've discovered I really like winter. Yeah, it’s cold, it’s slick, and it’s really cold, but still. It’s beautiful.


On the way home from work on Thursday, it was snowing. It was the big, fluffy kind of snow that muffles everything in the world. It was late in the evening as it was, so there few people out and about, and with the snow and my thick, heavy coat the whole world was quiet and peaceful. It was beautiful, and atmospheric, and so many other words that I can’t think of that would adequately describe how I felt walking home. 

I haven't really been able to appreciate the beauty of winter in a long while. Several years, at least. Yes, each Christmas for the last two years I've spent time at home in Iowa with my family, but one of those years it didn't snow very much, and the other year I wasn't really paying much attention. And the year before that I was getting ready to joining the military so I wasn't really focused on the world around me, the year before that we were in Utah, and it's not always a White Christmas there. So to have all this snow and to have the time and opportunity to really enjoy it, it really makes me think.

It's moments like this that inspire me. Moments when I feel like I'm all alone in the world, isolated by the weather and shown a new way to look at things, either through fog or snow or rain or moonlight. It's a perfect time to reflect; on my life, and on my place in the world.

That sounds so philosophical and mature and grown up, but really while I'm walking through moments like these all I'm thinking is "This is so beautiful and peaceful and quiet, it's like there are no other annoying people disrupting my world. This is perfect for some story setting."

Winter is not my favorite season. That distinction goes to Autumn, although with the climate change there is becoming less and less of that everywhere. But for all the downsides to Winter, it really is a beautiful time of year and I wouldn't skip it for anything.

What is your favorite season and why? Tell me about it in the comments!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Early Autumn, the tail end of summer, still warm during the day, but cooling off at night, leaves just beginning to turn, days still long enough to enjoy. Also late spring/early summer, the change of seasons, everything growing and there's a promise in the air of good things to come. Days are lengthening and flowers are everywhere. The heat of summer makes me feel lazy and just want to swing in a hammock with a good book (I used to do that as a teen!) while winter with short days and cold temps makes me want to hibernate.

    ReplyDelete