Pages

Friday, December 13, 2013

Allegiant, by Veronica Roth

Read from December 2 until December 6.

I started reading this with a lot of trepidation. I really liked the previous two, and I read Insurgent (book two) in one sitting. And when Allegiant came out, all of the book bloggers I follow didn't know whether to love or hate the book, so I knew something really big was going to happen at the end. I knew that it would be something potentially book hangover inducing, so I was a little reluctant to actually get into it. I wanted to see how the story ended, but I didn't want the story to end. I wasn't ready to part with Tris and Tobias, not ready to leave the world they lived in. So it took me a couple of days to really start reading, and then to really gain the momentum needed to reach the end.

The first two hundred pages I took pretty slow. It wasn't that the book was slow, far from it. But like I said before, I wasn't sure if I was going to like the ending, and I didn't want to be let down. I had so many expectations, most of them pretty high. And I didn't want to be let down, so I took the book at a slower pace than I normally read.

And then today I had two long train rides so I decided that it was time to finish it. I finished it a few stops before returning home.

The ending was not what I expected. And I can understand why people would be unable to decide between loving it or hating it. I'm not going to say anything that would spoil it, because I personally hate spoilers, but I will say that the ending fit perfectly. It was a bittersweet ending, but there was no other way to do it. Veronica Roth was able to do what few authors can pull off well. If she had done it any differently I wouldn't have liked it as much. And I really liked the ending. Sure, the couple didn't end up together, and sure there was a lot of sadness, but it felt like the right ending. You know?

Rating: Keeper

Have you read Allegiant? If you have, tell me what you liked or didn't like about it in the comments!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Spoiler Alert! The couple didn't end up together? Horrors! And how true to life. I didn't end up with any of the guys I wanted to until the one I ended up with. Funny how that works. Yah! since you have time to write these posts, don't you have time to write to your Eomma!? Saranghae.

    ReplyDelete