Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs

Again, this was written back on December 2nd, but scheduled for today because of reasons stated before.

I didn't mean to read this book. Honestly, I didn't. I had heard good things about it, sure, and I knew I wanted to read it at some point in the future, but I didn't think that would be today. Or yesterday, really, because I started and finished it on December 1st. But I was at the library to do something on the computers, and I can't go into a library without checking out the shelves, whether I plan on getting something or not. And then I saw Miss Peregrine sitting on the shelf.

It was like trying to resist a siren's song. So even though my current To-Read list is long and I have a little bit of order in what I plan on reading, I grabbed Miss Peregrine and checked it out. Again, I wasn't planning on reading it right away. I had two books on my urgent read list, and I wanted to finish those first before reading anything else. And on top of that I still had to finish my novel and start planning my novels for next year, so needless to say I was going to let it sit on my library shelf until I had a little more time.

And it didn't happen like that. After finishing City of Ashes, I was a little reluctant to jump right into City of Glass, which was at the top of my urgent read list. I needed a breather from all the bad similes and from Jace's jerk-ness. So I decided to start reading Miss Peregrine. I thought I could just read a handful of pages to get started. I didn't really know what to expect, because the blurb on the inside cover is VERY misleading.

So instead of just reading a little bit, I found myself devouring the book. I couldn't put it down. There was just something about the way it was written, something about the tone of the book that dragged me under like a riptide and refused to let me go. I was so enthralled by the book that -- even though I had a very important test in the morning that I needed to be well rested for -- I stayed up late reading until I finished it.

Part of it was the language. It was like a breath of fresh air after reading City of Bones and City of Ashes back to back. The language flowed so smoothly I never had to stop to wonder what I was reading or what the author was trying to describe.

The characters were believable as well. I felt like I could connect with the main character, Jacob, because he is an ordinary person -- to some extent -- and he had the reactions of a normal person.

The only real problem I had with Miss Peregrine was it was over too soon. Thankfully, book two -- Hollow City -- comes out in January.

Rating: Re-Readable. This is definitely a book I will be purchasing -- since I read it as a library book -- and I will probably read it again and again and again.

Have you read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children? If you have, I want to hear what you thought about it! Tell me in the comments.

Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. You're completely correct, the church cannot add to or take away from scripture, BUT God can and does. See Amos 3:7 "Surely the Lord God will do nothing, save he reveal his secret unto his servants, the prophets." Thank God we have a living prophet on the earth today to whom the Lord God reveals his secret and His will. http://mormon.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO glad to hear that you have a hard time with the writing in City of Bones. Most of my friends think i'm crazy because I can't STAND to read it! I've been dragging myself through the pages and keeping setting it down for weeks on end before convincing myself that maybe, just maybe, all the torture of her cliche and monotonous writing will be worth it. I'm still not convinced.

    I haven't read Miss Peregrine's yet but I definitely will now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, City of Bones was so very hard to get through, it was ridiculous. City of Ashes and City of Glass was easier, probably because by that time I was used to the writing, but it was still just as bad. Honestly, if you don't want to keep reading, you don't have to. It's not really worth it to finish the trilogy. I did because I made a promise to a really good friend that I wanted to keep.

      Now Miss Peregrine's though, I would definitely recommend reading that. It was a fantastic book, and I really think you will like it! :)

      Delete
  3. I stayed up until 12:30 AM finishing Miss Peregrine's. What an intriguing and imaginative story. My question is Did the story come first of the photos? I simply don't have an imagination like that. Wow. Couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete