Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

City of Glass, by Cassandra Clare

I swear, I don't normally read this much, or this fast. Honestly, I shouldn't be, either. I have a novel to finish writing, and I need to start planning my projects for next year. But I must have caught a bad case o the reader bug, because I can't stop reading, no matter what I get my hands on.

City of Glass is the third book in what was supposed to be a trilogy. It even has an ending that wraps everything up pretty nicely, with only a few thin treads sticking out, waiting to be plucked out and woven into a new story, which comes in the later books. Which I probably won't read.

First, I'd like to give some kudos to Cassandra Clare for writing a story and plot that pulled me along and kept its grip on me right up to the end, despite the fact that I hate the characters. Not just a few of them, no, I really hated all of the characters. That doesn't mean I didn't care what happened to them. No, Clare is a good enough writer that I couldn't help but care and worry and fret about what was going to happen to them, which is why I couldn't put it down. But I still disliked just about every last one of them. Which is hard to do, because I don't normally dislike people.

The characters weren't the only thing I had problems with. I still don't really like a lot of the language that Clare uses to describe things. They aren't natural descriptors, and sometimes it throws me off. I can't say it doesn't work, because she's published and I'm not, but it's just not something I like to read very often.

And once again, I have to say good job to Clare, because I am more than a little jealous of her ability to write actions scenes. They flow so well and draw you forward until you are reading and flipping pages frantically, desperate to know how the characters make it out of the horrifying mess.

Overall, it was okay. I was glad to finally reach the part where the thing that disgusted me from the first book was refuted. Admittedly I saw it from a million miles away from all the foreshadowing, but still. I was glad to finally get that over with. Now they can finally get together without all the whiny, mopey, guilty feelings getting in the way. Hallelujah!

Also, I still hate teenagers.

Rating: Keeper. For now.

Have you read City of Glass? If you have, tell me about your experience reading it in the comments!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. So, I have read the whole series. I have to say that I like the way Clare writes but like you this particular series had some issues. My favorite scene that she writes in this book is the one by the lake. I can see it all like it is on film. And speaking of film the new movie for City of Bones totally ruins some of Clare's characters. I can't believe she let them destroy Magnus and Valentine.
    I do like some of her characters for instant Luke. And although he's a bit flamboyant I like Magnus and his intelligence.
    And just for fun, I haven't read any but did you know she cut her author teeth writing Harry Potter fan fic. Apparently, she is the originator of Draco in leather pants. Never understood the whole bad boy thing, myself.
    Honestly, I think the books go down hill from here. I loved her Clockwork series which is the same universe only set in Steampunk London.

    ReplyDelete