Pages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

On Reading

While I may be a writer, first and foremost I am a reader. I started reading a little late in life, but once I was reading, I devoured everything I could find that interested me. And a lot of it, to my mother's chagrin, was fantasy. And that has stuck with me my entire life. Fantasy is what I gravitate towards when picking books to read. And this includes all the different kinds of fantasy; Lord of the Rings style high fantasy, Harry Potter style contemporary fantasy, The Dresden Files style urban fantasy.

For the last few years, I haven't read much. The demands of my training and job didn't leave time for frivolous activities like reading. So I fell behind in a lot of areas. And this last October I decided to get back into reading, because I started to have time again.

I've never tracked my reading before, but in October I read nine books. Admittedly some of them I was just finishing what I had already started, but I finished nine books. And it felt so good to be getting back into reading. I discovered Book Tube online, and lots of fun book reviewers, and learned of a whole community of readers that share their love of the written word with everyone. This lead me to discovering books I never would have read otherwise, some of which have become my favorite books of the year.

There are a lot of books out there that I want to read. Too many to read in one lifetime. And so many of the novels I have read in the past have been lost in a fog of memory. I can remember vaguely what I read, but I can't remember what I liked about it, or disliked, and some I can't remember what they were called even if I remember liking it.

In an attempt to keep this from happening again, I have decided to start documenting my reading and writing short little reviews for future reference. As I read things and finish things I plan on posting these brief reviews on this blog, for both reader and writer to benefit from.

I have already decided that I will have scheduled posts every Sunday and Thursday. Interspersed among these posts I will have the book reviews as I finish reading, and updates on my various writing projects, in an attempt to keep myself accountable and moving forward.

Man, I sound so stuffy today. I promise future posts will be more fun to read!

1 comment:

  1. You don't sound stuffy; you sound excited and alive! Glad you're going to share what you're reading.

    ReplyDelete