Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Scatterbrained

So this post might be a little scatterbrained, but it's mostly because I have a lot of things on my mind right now, and I want to talk about a lot of things. So, lets get started.

I dislike being labeled. Today in class we talked about politics. Again. Third day in a row. I really hate politics. Anyway, so we were talking about politics and the different sides like Left and Right, and stuff like that. And of course my very Korean teacher decided it would be fun to ask everyone where they stood on the Left/Right scale.

I normally claim I'm Republican. This is mostly because I've grown up with Republican parents, agree with a lot of Republican ideas, and stuff like that. However, as I've grown older and realized somethings about myself, and other people, I've realized that that label doesn't really fit me. But I'm not Democratic, either. So I'm kind of just stuck in the middle, wishing I didn't have to claim anything.

And it's not just in politics that I don't like being labeled. I'm in the military, but I don't consider myself a military person. I'm into a lot of nerdy things, and I can spit out all kinds of trivia about things like Doctor Who, Star Wars, etc., but I don't always feel like the labels nerd or geek fit me. Because I also enjoy ballet, musicals, classical music, art museums, etc. But I'm more likely to put on a pair of jeans than a nice dress or skirt, and I rarely if ever wear makeup, so girly is out of the question. Except I'm not a tomboy either, because I'm not good at sports, I don't like getting dirty, and I would rather sit an watch a movie or read a book than do something active. I like my alone time, but I get depressed when I don't have people to hang out with. Except when I spent too much time out with a lot of people, I use up a lot of energy and I'm no good for anything afterwards. So I'm not extroverted, but not introverted either.

So I just don't like labels, because I don't fit under any.

Next Topic, Supernatural and Supernatural: Bloodlines

So Supernatural is the TV that I've been watching the longest, and the only show that I have stuck around as long as I have. There have been others that I've watched that have as many or more seasons, but Supernatural is the only one where I've seen every episode, sometimes multiple times. Why? Because it's my favorite genre (urban fantasy) and stars two of the hottest guys on TV right now playing brothers. And I don't know what it is, but I love reading about and watching brothers interact. Maybe it's because I'm jealous?

Anyway, it was announced late last  year, early this year that Supernatural would be getting a spin-off series, much like a lot of other shows of the same genre. I was excited when I heard about it, though a little worried because it most likely wouldn't be the same. And tonight I watched the latest Supernatural episode, which was a backdoor plot for Supernatural: Bloodlines. And I had really mixed feelings about it. It didn't feel like I was watching a Supernatural episode, which was a minus, and because of everything I've been watching lately (read: Korean everything) all the white guys looked the same to me. You know how Asians all look the same? Yeah, to me, white guys all look the same, especially after I've watched nothing but K-Dramas for a while.

Of course, the episode was okay. The kid who looks like he'll be the main main character (colored, I might add. A major plus) was really cute, and I liked his character. I hope for good things about his character in the future. Over all, the episode was enough to start an itch, and when the show finally airs sometime in the future I will probably at least watch the first episode. No promises after that, though.

Next Topic: Sewol Ferry Sinking and My Callousness

So, as I'm sure everyone knows, two weeks ago a ferry sank off the coast of S. Korea, taking an awful lot of people down with it. We've been studying about it in class (because it was the only thing on the news for an entire week) and so I know a little bit about what happened, why it happened, and how Korea is reacting to it. And let me tell you, Korea is reacting badly.

Now, I understand mourning, to an extent. I have the benefit of knowing that there is life after death, and that families can be together forever, so mourning is a bit different for me, but I understand it. And I understand the outrage that everyone is feeling over what happened. A lot of people screwed up and were lazy, and it has cost a lot of people, and a lot of school kids, their lives. It's a terrible tragedy. I get that.

What I don't get is putting EVERYTHING ON HOLD, suspending life essentially, for an indefinite amount of time while everyone rages and weeps and wails and gnashes their teeth. This is where I might be a little callous, I can't tell.

Of course, I come from a major country at least fifty times larger than S. Korea. And with that many more people, life just goes on. But even in a small country like S. Korea, a lot of people have to earn money to live, and with everything suspended for this long, a lot of people aren't earning the money they would have. It's like the government shutdown the US went through last fall, only the people who aren't earning anything are the people in the entertainment industry.

I'll admit, some of this confusion comes from my desire to see promised music videos and TV programs that were postponed or cancelled all together. I admit that, I am kind of selfish that way. But at the same time, it also comes from this intense desire to shout to the world that, 'Hey! They're in a better place! You can see them again! Families are Forever! Stop Crying!' That also comes from seeing how crazy emotional the Korean people are at funerals. And I've only experienced Mormon funerals for old people. So my inexperience is showing.

Just some thoughts.

Next Topic: Storium

I think I learned about this on a nerdy blog I follow, but I took one look and fell in love. It's storytelling and role-playing all wrapped up into a pretty game and put on the web for intelligent people to play together. It's been such a long time since I've role-played, and I used to do that a lot, and I love telling stories (hence the writing) but I've never seen anything like this before.

Of course I had to try it out. So I backed the Kickstarter and sighed up, then started my own game as the narrator, using the bare-bone basics of my current story. I wanted to see how other people would handle it, if it had enough to interest people, etc. I really didn't expect the kind of response I got, however. I started the game late at night, went to bed, and when I woke up I had two people waiting with characters at the ready. Then over the course of a few short hours more people joined up. My game is popular! It made me so excited and I jumped for joy a lot. I've never been popular like this before!

Now I just have to narrate this story well enough to keep everyone participating. Hmmm...

Anyway, that's what I had for now. Sorry it's kind of a long post. Lot to get off my chest. You know.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! And I'm sorry if I said some things that aren't very nice. Like I said, kind of callous.

1 comment:

  1. You'll enjoy life after the Savior returns: there won't be any manner of "ites". No labels! Mourning over a child is a bit different than mourning over a grandma who had a full life. The death of a child upsets the natural order of things so it is very difficult. But, as you say, life goes on, and if they knew the Savior and the plan of happiness they would feel more comfort. Glad your story game is going well. Keep up the good work! Saranghae!

    ReplyDelete