Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2014

My Favorite Topic

I'm going to take a quick moment to talk about my favorite topic: K-Pop. It's been a little over three years since I first discovered this wonderful music genre, and I haven't looked back one. It's become my longest running obsession, and sometimes feels like an addiction, but it's a good addiction. Like being addicted to laughing, or the sound of your lover's voice.

And there is such a wide variety in K-Pop, there's practically a song for everything. Like country music, but without the twang. I've had songs leave me crying, songs make me smile, leave me breathless, inspire stories, make me mad, and everything in between.

Today, I'm going to share with you a list of songs and artists and music videos that mean things to me. Some of them will be funny, some of them will be not so funny. But they have all become a part of who I am, and I wanted to share that with you. They are all linked to Youtube videos for your viewing and listening pleasure. Some of them have music videos, but not all of them.

The first K-Pop song I ever heard: Run Devil Run, by Girl's Generations (소녀시대)

The K-Pop song that made me fall in love with K-Pop: Ring Ding Dong, by SHINee

The K-Pop song that made me cry it was so beautiful: 내게만 일어나는 일 (Things Happen Only To Me), by 이승환 (Lee Seung Hwan) (I found this song because of a commercial. Awesome.)

The K-Pop song that always makes me grin from the first notes: B.A.B.Y, by B.A.P

The K-Pop song I bought for the feature artist: Good Boy, by 백지영 (Baek Ji Young) Featuring Junhyung from Beast

The K-Pop song that I liked better than the album single: Black Pearl, by EXO (Korean version)

The K-Pop song that I wanted to listen to the most while I was at military basic training: ManManHaNi (만만하니), by U-KISS  (Still one of my top favorites of all time)

The K-Pop song I love from an artist I don't really like: Metronome, by Jay Park (I'm torn between loving and hating the music video for this one. It borders on very inappropriate, but has some pretty cool pendulum stuff. Watch it with care.)

The K-Pop song whose singer's gorgeous deep voice doesn't match his baby face: 병이에요 (Spotless Mind), by 정준영 (Jung Joon Young) (Serious, where does that voice come from?)

The K-Pop song I love running to: Hip Song, by Rain (비)

The K-Pop song that I prefer the remix to the original: Shout Out (Synth Rock Ver.), by Royal Pirates

The K-Pop song that I always dance to: Body to Body, by ZE:A

The K-Pop song from a favorite group that because the reason they aren't my favorite anymore: 내 여자야 (She's Mine), by U-KISS (I really dislike this song... I love the group, but this song just doesn't fit with all their other music. It's too much a rap song.)

The K-Pop song that is currently my most played K-Pop song: Ringa Linga, by Taeyang of Big Bang (at number 6) (this was a surprise to me, not because it's not worth being the most played, but because I didn't realize I had listened to it that much.)

The K-Pop song that I bought because it's by a favorite actor: The Scent of Flower, by 최진혁 (Choi Jinhyuk)

The K-Pop music video that made me cry it was so heart-wrenching: Baby I'm Sorry, by MyName (Warning: A little bit violent and will make you cry)

The three K-Pop music video that have inspired the most story ideas: Rising Sun, by TVXQ, Tell Me Goodbye, by Big Bang (admittedly it's in Japanese, but it's by a Korean group so it totally counts), No. 1, by F.Cuz (pronounced Focus)

The K-Pop group that used to be my favorite: U-KISS

The K-Pop group that is my current favorite: B.A.P (for favorites, there are specific qualifiers that I look at. I'll talk about that in a different post.)

The K-Pop group that is my favorite male/female duo: Akdong Musician (Warning: this music video will make you cry. And if it doesn't, that means I'm a big baby.)

The K-Pop group that get better with each single: VIXX (seriously, I didn't particularly like their debut - I thought it was too generic - but it got so much better after that) (Aren't they just adorable? Assuming you watched the video...)

The K-Pop group that is the most expensive because I buy both versions: EXO (EXO-K and EXO-M)

The K-Pop sub-unit that I like better than the main group: Speed, male sub-unit of Co Ed School (I'm not saying I don't like Co Ed School, I just like Speed better)

 I could go on for so much longer, but that would get boring to read and it will take too long to watch everything as it is. :)

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Well, we both like K-Pop, but our taste within that are different. I'm really glad you persevered and got me to listen.

    ReplyDelete