Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Onyx, by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx in paperback
Read January 10 to January 11

Again, I said I was reading one thing, The Dream Thieves, but I ended up reading something else. I'm maybe seeing a trend here.

Onyx is the sequel to Obsidian, and in terms of sequels, it knocked my socks off. The two books I gave up on to read these two were both sequels, and didn't have quiet the impact as sequels as Onyx did. Because this book took everything the author had built up in book one and cranked it up to eleven. The romance was better, the main character was better, even the plot conflict, while built on what had happened before, was better. Jennifer L. Armentrout really knows how to put her characters through the ringer, then force them to live and work through the consequences to their actions.

And one of the biggest things I loved about this book? There was a theme under it all about choice, and how everyone has choice and has to live with the consequences of their choice. Which is one of my favorite things to see, because it doesn't show up very often. And it is an important thing to learn, especially nowadays.

A down point, however, was the fact that the bad guy for this book was the Department of Defense. Now, I can understand having a secret government agency as a big baddie, but using the DoD as a blanket term for a government agency strikes me as ignorant. Because the DoD covers a lot of different groups. The US Military being one of them. It felt like every time the DoD was mentioned, I -- as a member of the US Military -- was being lumped in with the black-suit-bad-guys from the government. And that rankled me just a little bit.

Not enough to turn me off from reading this book, though, because the chemistry between Katy and Daemon is as hot as the surface of the sun, and I can't wait to read the next book. Just as soon as it arrives in the mail.

Rating: Keeper

Have you read any sequels that were better than the first book? Tell me about them in the comments!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment