Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Marathoning Dramas, or How I Switched My Schedule

Since my job is a twenty-four hour manned position, occasionally I have to work the night schedule. It's exactly the opposite the day schedule, except I have to live like a vampire, sleeping during the day and waking when the sun goes down. It's what I did for the first few months on the job, and now after a few months of day shift, I'm moving back to the night shift.

In order to do this, I have to switch my schedule around. I don't know how other people do it, but most of the time I stay up 24 hours, pass out when morning comes again, and that's it. This time around wasn't quite as easy as the time I switched to days, but it was still easier than the first time I switched to nights. And since I have recently re-discovered Hulu as a way to watch K-Dramas over here, then this time I decided to marathon a new drama as a way to keep myself awake.

Honestly, not the best choice I could have made.

First, I decided to watch Who Are You, which is one that came out over the summer, 2013. Because I wasn't connected to Drama Fever, my normal way to watch dramas, I didn't know that this one existed until later in the year, and I was smacking myself for not seeing it before. It stars Ok Taecyeon as the main guy, who is one of the rappers from the K-Pop group 2PM, and So I-Hyeon as the main girl, who also started in Heartstrings and Cheongdam Dong Alice. It's about a policewoman who wakes up from a coma able to see ghosts and her journey in figuring out how she got put into a coma, why she sees ghosts, and how she can help the ghosts that appear to her. The whole thing is equal parts comedy and melodrama, with a healthy dash of horror.

Second, watching this drama over the last two days has certainly been an emotional roller coaster. One moment I'm laughing at how silly and goofy and adorable Taecyeon is, and the next I'm weeping at how heartbreaking the main girl's story is. Of course, most dramas are like this. The first half of the drama is full of comedic situations and all the things to get you to fall in love with the characters and care about them. Then the second half is all about taking everything away and making the main couple really work to be together, which usually entails heartbreak, misunderstanding, outside forces working against them, etc.

I just finished watching the second to last episode, and a very important ghost character finally left. It was so heart-wrenching that I cried -- as I tend to do a lot while watching good dramas. More on that later -- and then I just didn't feel up to doing anything. I haven't watched the last episode, and I've been kind of moping around my room without purpose. This seems to be a pattern of mine.

But I've gotten off track.

So, I'm now on a weird night schedule, and probably will be for a couple of months, if not more. Watching this drama has helped me stay awake while making the transition, even if it left me kind of down, and I recommend watching it, if only because it is such a well done drama. And it's got Taecyeon.

So, dear readers, have you ever had to work on a weird schedule? What did you do to make the switch? Tell me about it in the comments!

As always, thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I've never worked the "graveyard" shift but I have worked a lot of 3-11 shifts; and at times I even worked 7-3, then a 3-11 and then back to work at 7. Such is life in a hospital. Now as a mother I've worked plenty of overnighters and years with no days off, but as my husband reminds me: I volunteered for that. Love you.

    ReplyDelete