Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year's Resolutions

I don't do this very often, but this year I have a list of New Year's Resolutions. And it's not just something I'm saying because everyone does resolutions at the start of the year, but these are things I really am going to try hard to make happen. Normally I don't, because I haven't always been very proactive about making myself or my life better, but this year I just feel the need to change things and get better at things.

Of course, I could make a list a mile long of things that I want to do this year. But knowing myself, I decided that I would just get overwhelmed if I did something like that. So I decided to stick with just 10 pretty easy ones, and have methods in place for making these happen. So, here are my 10 New Year's Resolutions for 2014.


  • Write every single day - It doesn't matter how much I write, as long as I write SOMETHING. It would be nice to write 1-2k, but that's not realistic with how real life is going. So as long as I have written something, that's all I can ask of myself.
  • Read every single day - There are too many books out there to not read every day. And every month more books come out, so my TBR pile gets larger and larger, and I can't afford to not read.
  • Reduce current media spending by 50% - I may have a problem with buying movies and music. And books. And it's kind of draining my bank account, which is unfortunate because I'm trying to save up for important things like a car and a house and a world backpacking trip.
  • Increase gym attendance by 300% - What this really means is I want to start going to the gym three times a week, instead of just the required one time. Because I have a little bit of pudge I could do to lose, and I want to increase my current level of fitness. And that's not possible without going to the gym.
  • Remove one un-needed/un-used item from my possession every three days - For a while now I've been thinking about and trying to start becoming a little more minimalist. I don't know what it is, but my room collects things like writers collect ideas, and it makes for a very cluttered room.
  • Complete one CLEP or class a month - I'm trying to get my associate's degree so that I can move on to my bachelor's degree, and I can't do that without actually working on getting credit hours.
  • Cut eating out to 3x or less a week - Currently I eat out way too much. I don't really like the food at the Dining Facility, so instead of eating there, I eat at any of the fast food restaurants around here. And it's starting to show around my belly and in my bank account.
  • Eat healthy - Going along with the previous resolution, I need to start eating healthy. Essentially this means I need to stop eating junk food. It's embarrassing, but I've gained almost 30 pounds since joining the military, and not all of it muscle. So no more junk food!
  • Cut internet usage by 50% - I use the internet too much. And a lot of it is just time wasting, so I want to cut that time wasting out. Because there isn't enough time in the world to do everything I want, so I should use every moment I have.
What are some of your Resolutions for this year? Tell me about it in the comments!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. All worthy goals. I want to see you succeed. So how can I encourage you and motivate you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few of your goals echo my own. Good luck and don't get discouraged.
    I once heard that when starting something like a diet or goals that while planning out that thing you also need to plan what you will do it you mess up. Too many of us give up because we have a bad day and think that we have ruined our 'perfect run'. It is just as important with any goal to decide that you will start over when you fail. I am currently battling a sugar addiction and really need to remember this.

    ReplyDelete