Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Two Movies

So I went a little overboard and went and saw two movies today. First I made plans with one friend, forgot about those plans, then went and saw a movie with another friend, and after that movie was over I remembered the other plans I had made and arrived back in time to go with that friend. A bit of a mess, but I got to hang out with two friends I don't get to see very often, as well as watch two interesting movies, so it was worth it.

The two movies I saw were Captain America 2 (in a Korean theater) and Noah (at the base theater.) Normally I don't review stuff like this, but then again normally I don't come out of two consecutive movies with something very important to say, something that bugs me and needs to be said. So, here I go.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (spoiler free)

This was a great movie. What's funny is the first Captain America movie was the first movie I watched when I got out of Air Force Basic Training. I really like Captain America, more so than some of the other super heroes nowadays. Because he fights America, and not for the bureaucrats and the rich and powerful and those in power, no, he fights for the people and for the freedom of Americans and for AMERICA. But that's not what I want to talk about today.

This was a great movie, but what I want to talk about are the minions and peons and the people on the lowest level. Basically people like me. And this isn't really just about Captain America, it's also about most movies that have legions of bad guys and soldiers and police etc. that the 'good guys' have to fight their way through. I don't know about other people, but it always bothers me that there are so many people who don't question their orders, don't question what they are being told to do, don't question if what they are doing is right. Of course, I understand that a lot of times they are being lied to, or misled, or brainwashed, or the like, but really? That many people?

And then when the 'good guys' do their thing and destroy the bad guy's fortress/flying machine/ship etc. what about all those people who didn't realize what they were getting into and died anyway? I realize that there are people who do know what they are getting into and either don't have the moral courage to stand up for what's right or expect to get out of whatever they do. Maybe they expect power or money, or any other temptation that pulls men and women away from the good. But how can I honestly believe that that many people were either unable to think for themselves or were expecting to get something out of it?

For the last couple of days I've been thinking about stuff like this, and I'm not exactly sure why. I've imagined spending years interviewing prisoners in the States to try to find out how they ended up that way and to try to fix things, I've imagined being inside the movies I've watched talking with the minions and peons to try to get them to think for themselves and to realize that they are on the wrong side. Anything to stop the death and corruption.

And Captain America really made me think of it more. When you see it, you'll realize why.

Noah (again, spoiler free as best I can)

Noah made me think of other things. And this one had more to do with the actual movie. As the title suggests, the movie is about Noah and the Ark. As a movie that has nothing to do with the biblical story, it makes for a great movie. Maybe set in a fantasy setting or something. But as a retelling of the bible story, it is poorly done, and done without a real understanding of what a Man of God is and how a prophet like Noah would have communicated with God.

Maybe this all just comes from my LDS/Mormon background, but this movie was so hard to watch because of the things that Noah did and said and felt. Yes, Noah was a man, and he probably had his faults and all, but Noah was a Prophet of God, and he would have known a lot more than the movie Noah did. Now I know that the real story probably wouldn't have been quite as exciting, and so the film-makers added a bunch of things to make the movie 'worth' watching. But to me it was not worth watching and it left me with an uncomfortable, dark feeling.

At least one good thing came out of this movie: I was reminded of how grateful I am to know the truth of things and to have the Spirit so that I can tell what is wrong or right.

I wish I could talk more about Noah, but it would be too spoiler-ish, and spoiling movies and things is one of my big pet peeves, so I don't do it, except in private settings with people who are sure they want it to be spoiled. (like my mom, sometimes

So tell me, have you see movies that just made you want to talk about something? Something that buzzed around your brain until you told someone? Tell me about it in the comments!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment