Pages

Saturday, April 5, 2014

OUAT In Wonderland and why I'm glad it got cancelled

First off, I need to apologize for not posting on Thursday, like I normally do. Language class has been a little more time consuming and distracting than I expected and while I knew what I was going to post about, it completely slipped my mind.

Now, I am in love with Once Upon A Time In Wonderland. It's a wonderful spinoff series based on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, which is one of my favorite children's story, and as I have talked about it before, some of my favorite relationships and characters. But even saying that, I'm glad it was not picked up for a second season, and here's why.

When I first heard about it, I thought it was supposed to be only a mini-series spinoff, just something to supplement the main show while having a completely separate setting and set of characters. Then I learned that no, it was supposed to be it's own show and that it would hopefully continue for at least a little bit. As I started watching it, I thought this was a good idea, because I was enjoying it so much.

Then, before I had watched the season one finale episode, I heard it was cancelled. This made me upset and a little angry, although I should have seen it coming because a lot of really good shows that I enjoy get cancelled. (e.g. Firefly, The Dresden Files, etc.) But then I watched the season finale, which had such a perfect, well-suited ending that wrapped everything up quite nicely and actually finished the story, leaving no loose ends to be picked up later. So it was perfect. And if they had used that ending and still went on with another season, it would have taken away from the ending and made it seem cheap.

Maybe I'm just used to Korean dramas, where there is a definitive ending and very rare sequels (and even those aren't about the same characters,) but I enjoy complete stories much better than continuing series that never seem to end, but do seem to run out of steam.

So while the cancelling of shows like Firefly and Terra Nova leave me upset and wondering why, I'm glad OUAT In Wonderland was cancelled, especially with the ending they got. Because anything more would have ruined the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment