Pages

Monday, June 30, 2014

Vacation Part Two, Utah

This is a continuation of yesterday's post about my vacation in the US.

So Utah was an interesting place to be after such a long time. I visited last year, before leaving for Korea, and coming back was almost like coming home. The first day, however, I experienced one of the most frustrating thing I think I've ever been through.

We were staying at my Aunt's house, in one valley, and I wanted to spend time with my friends in another valley, which meant I would have to have transportation. So, I went to the nearest Enterprise Rent-A-Car that morning. To my surprise, they didn't have any cars available until the next day, after the times I needed it. So I walked back to my Aunt's in the heat (it was gross) and talked with my Dad about it. We made a reservation for a car at the airport, then Dad and Mom drove and dropped me off there.

So I started going through the process of getting this car, when the woman at the counter discovered that I had a debit card, not a credit card. She then proceeded to tell me that because I was under 25 and didn't have a credit card, she couldn't rent me the car. I was dumbstruck, because I have been renting cars with a debit card since I was 22 (with my military ID), without any problem. I thanked her for her time and walked around to another rental desk. The next two rentals didn't have cars available at all, because apparently weekdays are busy for rents. I never would have guessed. One place had an SUV, but that required I actually be 25, with or without my military ID. I went to every single desk, and was stunned at how rude some of the places were when they told me they had no cars.

Finally, I found a place that had a car and was willing to run my debit card. I stood at the desk for a good fifteen minutes while the woman went through the process of getting everything set up, and she was super nice, and the two women working at that desk tried to set me up with the other guy getting a car. Then, alas, the woman ran a credit check (apparently required with a debit card) and since I have zero credit because I don't do things to get credit, then it was declined. Le sigh. At this point I had been trying to get a car for an hour.

The woman at this last desk must have felt bad, because she called another, off-site company that would take my debit card without a credit check, and I got picked up by one of their drivers and taken to their office. I then proceeded to spend way too much on a way old car with mileage limitations (which I didn't know was still a thing). But I had a car! I could drive places! I could be an adult!

That evening I drove down to the other valley to visit my high school best friend, Cheez. She's an awesome person, and I had such a good time seeing her again. I only get to see her about once a year now, and it's more than a little sad, because I would love to spend more time with her. She's like my little sister.

The next morning I drove back down to the valley to meet up with my other best friend, Balgram. I've known her for more than ten years now (hard to believe it's been that long) and if I'm being honest with myself, she's the starting point for everything great in my life. It was through her I discovered Japanese stuff, and it was through Japanese stuff that I found K-Pop, so when I talk about K-Pop too much, just blame here. (Love you!) I wish we could spend more time together. She's like my big sister. (I see a pattern here...)

That afternoon my new Marine brother, PWT, said his goodbyes and left for Idaho to pick up his truck before heading back to California for more training. After saying goodbye, I went and returned the rental car (I will never ever buy a Grand Prix. I did not like that car.)

That same day was my youngest brother, DHT's birthday. He turned 16 (!) and to celebrate we went and saw X-Men: Days of Future Past as a family. It was a great movie, and immediately after watching it I wanted to see it again. That's always a good sign.

We were going to leave the next day, but instead we decided to stay one more day to rest up before the main road trip started. It was a nice relaxing day, hanging out with my Aunt and Mom, just us girls. We went to a big outdoor mall in downtown Salt Lake City, I spent too much on a phone case for my US phone, then we went and visited an elderly relative and a cousin living nearby. It was great to see them, and it was great to just be together, and do things together. I miss doing things with people...

Then, we packed everything back up, including all the stuff the family had left in Utah before going to California, and we were off on our Magical Family Roadtrip Adventure. Which will be another post.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment